Steel forge or black smith forge
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Mechanical discussion.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Steel forge or black smith forge

Steel forge or black smith forge 12 years, 6 months ago #2

• u4david
  • Administrator
I have finally made it. The other day I visited my friends in Love Vally and made a knife from an old file in a blacksmith forge. The knife is a Beaver tail stile. I like these type of knives. Indians from the plains have this type and I was inspired enough to build my own forge. It was not hard at all.

I got an old plowing disk from a farm machine to use as the bottom. It has a shape of a plate with a square hole in the center. Then I welded a steel edge on it to create cylinder. I welded the legs from an old fold up table and used steel pipes to make the intake.

Then I bought a white fire brick and high strength concrete. I cut the bricks into sections and I filled in the bottom with the bricks spread out evenly. I left the center open.

Next, was to make the blower. I mounted an old vacuum cleaner engine in drain pipe so it can blow the air. All of this fits right on my welded steel intake. I left the bottom of the steel intake open and later on I put a cover on it so that I can control the air coming through and relieve unwanted pressure to reduce volume of air.

I got old cast iron pane from a friend of mine and drilled holes through it and cut of the handle. I placed it in the center of the forge to create a kind of a grill.

Now when i need to run my forge I start a small fire in center of the grill and build it up until I can throw some black coal in. When the coal is burning I open the bottom of the intake to reduce the volume of air coming through grill and then turn my engine on. Let the fire slowly increase until the forge fire is burning nicely and ready to heat the steel.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds