Archery bow
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Woodworking discussion.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Archery bow

Archery bow 12 years, 7 months ago #4

• u4david
  • Administrator
Making the bow take two stands. First you just like to make one just for curiosity and hang it on the wall. Second, you like to make one to shoot it either in the target or to hunt with. There is one main difference in these two kind of uses. The first one does not require as much attention as bow that have to actually work as weapon. To make bow/weapon it take first good wood, tools, patience and experience. And this is the kind of bow I'm talking about.

Bow you see on the picture I made it while living in America. I used the tree called Black Locus. But you can use Black Gum, and there are more kinds of woods you can use .But after experiencing this wood I think I stick with Black Locus .

First I cut the wood. Best time to cut it is either fall or winter because it does not have as much moisture in it dries better with out cracks and is little more tougher. So I cut down the tree about diameter of arm and long to my chest. Then I let it dry slowly about 8 months but longer to about 1 to 18 months is maybe even better. Then I split the wood in half by cutting it on table saw. And curve the bow of it.

Again I know this is a rough idea of making the bow but it at least get you started with preparing least 2-3 wood sticks to make bow of it because you probably will mess up while make bows till you get some experience to make the final art peace.

This bow is made of Black Locus ,Is long to my stomach and I can stretch it so far I will touch with my hand arrow head. I did not measure the weight you need to make to pull this bow but comparing to the bows I handle, I guess it has least 45lb.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.16 seconds